Wedding Wednesday Cake Trends
Posted on September 23, 2015
2016 Wedding Cake Trends
Our wedding couples have brought some fabulous cakes and desserts over the years, and we must say that the 2015 wedding cakes have been especially outstanding in design. We looked ahead at some of the leading wedding cake trends for 2016 for inspiration. Happy planning!
- Desert inspired. Local specialty bakery Růže Cake House says “Over the course of the year, we’ve been witnessing a growing trend in Southwest-inspired designs. We used to see cakes decorated with loose flowers, we’re now finishing them off with fresh succulents. Where we used to see a rhinestone monogram atop a cake, we’re now replacing it with a cactus bride and groom. In the past we might see someone go for some bling, we’re instead using sugar cactus pads that have been painted in edible gold.”
- Naked cakes. The old saying, “It’s what’s on the inside that counts” certainly applies to this wedding cake trend: the naked cake. A layered cake is presented without an outside layer of frosting, showing off the tiers and fillings inside. This is a top trend for wedding couples who like a rustic elegance as their wedding style, and also those who prefer not-too-sweet cakes.
- Decadent desert tables. Rather than opting for one cake, our wedding sales manager Lindsey Rendon has noticed a trend for brides wanting a dessert table. Rendon says “Indulgent treats, nostalgic candies and colorful sweets that match the décor of the wedding are fun alternatives to the traditional wedding cake.”
- Metallic shimmer. With edible glittery frosting that’s elegantly subtle but still catches light, cakes have taken on a stylish shimmer. And without glittery frosting, wedding cakes may be wrapped with shimmery ribbon or a shimmery fondant border around the base of each layer, for added shine.
- Ruffled frosting all along the length of the wedding cake adds a delicate, romantic look to a wedding cake. Texture can also be created by an intricate pattern in fondant layers and ‘ribbons’ overlaying the cake frosting, for a 3D effect, and lace patterns to match the lace on the bride’s gown is also an enduring wedding cake trend.
Need more inspiration? Check out our El Chorro Wedding Pinterest board!